Pages

.

Father of a Breastfed Baby

Once that due date is circled on the calendar, moms-to-be start to learn about breastfeeding from their health care providers, books and magazines, and talking with friends. That means they’re usually aware of the possible challenges of breastfeeding and the realities of baby care.

But dads may be blissfully unaware of what’s about to happen to their lives. “Before Reagan was born, I hadn’t really thought about breastfeeding much,” says Stephen Kavanagh. “I knew Nicole really wanted to breastfeed, but I didn’t think of any of the complications that could arise. I thought it would be second nature. You know, it’s natural, so why would there be any problems?”

Providing support

Surprise! Natural doesn’t always mean easy. And even when breastfeeding is going well, feeding baby around the clock can be exhausting. The challenge for fathers is often figuring out the best way to provide support when breastfeeding isn’t going as planned, or when mom is feeling worn out. If you urge her to keep trying, are you pushing too hard when she’d rather go to formula? Or if you offer to go out and buy some bottles, are you undermining her efforts to keep breastfeeding? And in the middle of all that, how do you build your own relationship with your new baby?

Breastfeeding can be very important emotionally to a new mother, as Kavanagh soon discovered when his wife began to have sore nipples and difficulties feeding their son. “Reagan was tongue-tied and unable to create a proper latch. I did have thoughts that this might not work and we would have to move to formula. I didn’t say that out loud, though, because I realized that this was very important to Nicole — so I just tried to encourage her and help her find help. But it was very difficult to watch both Nicole and Reagan struggle.”

Simon Dubois and his wife, Judy, overcame some significant breastfeeding hurdles as well when Judy gave birth to twins. The problems seemed almost overwhelming at first. The public health nurse who visited them recommended pumping after each feeding, as well as taking domperidone and herbal supplements to increase milk production. This time-consuming routine seemed to be working, but then Judy developed mastitis that required five days in hospital. This was Dubois’ chance to shine.

“When she was in the hospital, the twins and I roomed in with her so she could continue to breastfeed and I could help with baby care,” Dubois says. “Later, at home, I did all the washing and assembling of the pump. In the middle of the night, I would get up with the babies, deal with the pump, bring Judy a snack and put away the pumped milk. I prepared the bottles and fed the babies while she pumped. I also tried to deal with all the household chores and caring for our two older children.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/preventingpregnancy/index.htm hamile hamile - I am pregnant https://healthcaremagic.com/